Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm’s employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments, and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence, and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career – a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The OTC Settlements Team is responsible for all aspects of settlement for FX, Commodities, Credit, Interest Rate, and Equity OTC derivatives trades post-booking. The position requires daily interaction with clients, global sales and trading desks, middle office, and IT teams internally.
Background on the Team
The group is divided into several teams by product and function, offering the fantastic opportunity to learn a variety of products and functions within the larger Settlements team. Each team is responsible for controlling risk by managing relationships with clients and counterparties to ensure that high risk settlements are settled in a timely manner and any post-settlement issues, or discrepancies are identified, escalated appropriately, and resolved.
The employee will be expected to analyse and improve processes and avert risk. The team provides exposure to a multitude of financial products and will assist in establishing or further developing a career within Operations at Morgan Stanley.
- Ability to demonstrate strong organisational skills with keen attention to detail.
- Act as a point of contact for settlement issues and discrepancies with external counterparties, sales, and the trading desk, to resolve cash fail receivables and trial balances.
- Investigate and resolve complex settlements through various means, including daily interaction with key stakeholders, including trading desks, sales desks and middle office groups to ensure prompt resolution.
- Confirm correct settlement prices and ensuring trading systems are updated with correct pricing curves.
- Perform key settlement functions by creating payment vouchers and receivables invoices on a daily basis.
- Process early closeouts and novation of trades, as required.
- Acting as a process owner and being accountable for all outstanding items
- Developing and improving existing processes and reporting
- Working as part of the global settlements team to assist with development, testing & implementation of internal system changes
This is a highly intensive trading environment with opportunities to work closely with various groups. The successful candidate will be required to gain an understanding of the broader responsibilities of Operations, life cycle of trade and systems. They should strive to be the first point of contact for operational issues. They will work externally close with counterparty and broker operations personnel to identify trade discrepancies and internally with traders, schedulers, controllers, and IT personnel to resolve those issues. The successful candidate will have exposure to a wide range of functions in a complex and dynamic market. The ability to multitask and prioritize will be key, combined with management of critical day-to-day functions.
- 3+ years of experience within settlement operations
– Bachelor’s Degree – Analytical, financial or mathematically related preferred
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Strong analytical, organizational, and verbal and written communication skills
- Proven ability to work efficiently and accurately under pressure in a fast paced multi-tasking environment
- Proactive and self-motivated
- Strong Microsoft Excel and Access skills, including the design and implementation of macros preferred
Interested in flexible working opportunities- Morgan Stanley empowers employees to have greater freedom of choice through flexible working arrangements. Speak to our recruitment team to find out more.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximize their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives, and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing, and advancing individuals
Given the continued spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), all interviews will be conducted by phone or virtual connection to protect our candidates and employees.